As I’m watching Jang Ok Jung, Living by Love I became really confused because in my mind I thought Queen In Hyun was the first queen of king Sukjong. So when watching the queen in some random episode I had assumed queen in-hyun was her but watching a part where some girl tells her dad that she has changed her mind and will enter the palace as a concubine but not unless she second ranked or something like that I find out she’s in-hyun. So I did my research…
warning this could have potential spoilers since the drama is supposed to be based on the life of the future jang hee-bin, just thought I should share some facts on the history behind this drama. read at your own risk =)
-Apparently the first wife of the king was queen in-kyung(ingyeong), who did die at the young age of 19. Had two daughter who both died during birth. *I feel sorry for this queen in the drama she obviously has a big old crush on the king but he doesn’t even look her way =(*
- In 1681 a year later after queen in-kyung’s death queen in-hyun marries the king as his second Queen Consort
- In 1686 like in the drama he met ok-jung through his grandmother but unlike in the drama after meeting her that night he made her his concubine. With the title of sukwon which means 8th level concubine, whatever that means,lol
- In 1688 she was ranked as so-ui bin but then ranked heebin after giving birth to a son, heebin with hee meaning beautiful.
- At the time jang heebin gave birth to her first son a dispute started because the king wanted to name her son crown prince but the people supporting queen in-hyun were against it. Of course if you’ve seen Dong Yi and other dramas involving jang heebin you will know this.
- On may of 1688 because the king became upset with the opposition on naming jang heebin’s son crown prince he exiled and desposed queen in-hyun and her family. With this jang ok jung went from being So-ui to Heebin, third consort queen.
- In 1693 the king married Choi Suk-bin*known as dong yi to kdrama followers* and was given the title of suk-won.
- In 1694 choi suk-won was ranked Suk-ui(Royal Noble Consort of the 2nd grade) after giving birth to a son who will later become king.
- Also in 1694 with the help of suk-ui queen in-hyun was reinstated and jang hee-bin was demoted.
- In 1695 suk-ui was promoted to gwi-in and was again promoted in 1699 to suk-bin making her Royal Noble Consort Sukbin.
- In 1701 queen in-hyun dies of a mysterious illness, leaving no children behind.
- Months later jang hee-bin is executed by poisoning when heard cursing the late queen. Rumors/sayings are that the king had a dream about the late queen where she was drenched in blood and when asking her how she had died that she had simply pointed towards the chambers of jang hee-bin. He awoke and headed to jang hee-bin’s chambers and once there over heard music and laughter and when eavesdropping found her with a shaman praying for the queen’s death while piercing a doll with arrows. Other rumors say he found her praying with her brother and a shaman while piercing the doll for the queens death. All I got from this(in my opinion) was that the king eventually found out that jang hee-bin was doing black magic and simply connected the dots.
- In October of 1701 he passed a decree/law which would prohibit concubines from becoming consort queens.
- In 1702 the king married queen inwon with the rank of third consort queen. In 1711 she got small pox but survived.
- In 1718 Choi Suk-bin dies at the age of 49.
- In 1720 King Sukjong died and queen inwon became queen dowager, later after the death of king gyeongjong(jang hee-bin’s son) and choi suk-bin’s son became king yeongjo in 1724 she became grand queen dowager.
- In 1757 at the age of 70 Queen Inwon dies.
Well basically this is the whole story of them,lol I could continue such as King Yeongjo had a son(crown prince sado?) who was mentally ill(guessing) and would kill random people in the palace. And was later put to death by him by being put in some kind of basket and later died of suffocation. As you can see I get a bit too much into sageuks I need to know the history behind them and apparently I didn’t do a good job when watching dong yi or I forgot,lol Either way so far in the drama the king just told her that if he was the sky then the sky would fall down to be with her which I just found to super romantic,lol